- 1 What does a chief of staff do?
- 2 Is chief of staff a good role?
- 3 What makes a good chief of staff?
- 4 How do you write a chief of staff job description?
- 5 What’s another title for chief of staff?
- 6 Is chief of staff an executive position?
- 7 Why Every CEO needs a chief of staff?
- 8 Is chief of staff a good career move?
- 9 Is chief of staff a senior role?
- 10 How do you get a job as a chief of staff?
What does a chief of staff do?
The Chief of Staff is generally positioned as the CEO or executive’s ‘right hand person’. Responsibilities often include: Attending meetings and calls on the behalf of their boss if he/she couldn’t not make it. Helping their CEO prioritize their time and appointments.
Is chief of staff a good role?
First, the nature of the CoS role can cause burnout. A Chief of Staff with leadership aspirations is a great candidate for these organizations. Benefits: A new company affords you the opportunity to cut the dependency cord with your former boss and chart new territories that may better suit your long-term career goals.
What makes a good chief of staff?
An effective chief manages the boss’ time and understands deadlines and meeting schedules. They not only aggressively keeps the boss on time for appointments, but establishes priorities and ensures the way the executive spends the day aligns to those priorities.
How do you write a chief of staff job description?
Steps to write the Chief of Staff job description
- Write a job summary, including the key functions of the position.
- Outline the role’s duties and responsibilities.
- Detail the qualifications of the ideal candidate.
- Review the position description with the leader and his or her team.
What’s another title for chief of staff?
Alternatives to use of Chief of Staff include Chief Administrative Officer, Chief Business Officer, or Chief Business Administrator.
Is chief of staff an executive position?
The Chief of Staff Unlike other executives who have their own departmental agendas, the COS usually has a company-wide perspective and often manages projects for a variety of teams. The COS works with the executive to create strategies, actionable steps, and OKRs.
Why Every CEO needs a chief of staff?
As a company grows and becomes more complex, hiring a chief of staff can be a smart move. They manage the needs of the CEO, Executive office, and company, such as overseeing employee satisfaction, recruiting, brand and reputation management, training, communication flow, and maximizing the CEOs reach.
Is chief of staff a good career move?
The Chief of Staff is rarely a career role. There are exceptions to this of course, and some are already finding there is a path to continue to grow within an organization or move on to become a CoS somewhere else.
Is chief of staff a senior role?
Unlike an EA, a chief of staff works autonomously and does not handle routine correspondence or manage the leader’s day-to-day schedule. The highest-level CoS should be a full-fledged member of the senior leadership team, albeit without the rank or compensation of a C-suite officer.
How do you get a job as a chief of staff?
How to get a Job as a Chief of Staff
- Join in a different position and create the CoS role internally. Most companies probably don’t have CoS at the top of their hiring plan.
- Create the role yourself in the interview process.
- Find companies that are hiring for a CoS.
- Replace an existing COS.
- Start your own company.